Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

I am a 64 yr old male 5'10 224lbs diagnosed with arthritis

Customer Question

I am a 64 yr old male 5'10 224lbs diagnosed with arthritis in his right knee, very seldom Minimal pain, talked knee replacement surgery with my GP Dr. if and when pain would increase. My theory is to loose some weight, and my knee should last longer supporting
less of me QUESTION (which I forgot to ask my doctor) would a three mile walk, jumping jacks or lightly weighted gym squats have any beneficial or detrimental effect on my natural knee longevity
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I amCustomeran orthopedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
You are correct in assuming that losing weight will help increase longevity of your natural knee. In fact it will also help increase the longevity of your replaced knee when you go in for replacement.
Walking is not detrimental to the health of your natural knee but jumping jacks or even lightweight squats are to be avoided.
You may go in for stationary cycling as that will be helpful in increasing the longevity of your natural knee and will also help increase the muscle strength of muscles around the knee.
Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Please do remember to rate my answer positively as this is the only way we get assessed and paid for our work at this site.
Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Though not exactly wanted to hear, (jumping jacks are part of the routine with my grandchildren), and I thought strength training would help build stabilization muscles, what the Dr. related makes sense.
Like the estimated time of response,
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.Jumping jacks or other activity which causes sudden impact on the knee when you touch the ground is detrimental to the health of knee and therefore needs to be avoided I understand that this work cause obstruction to your regular routine with your grandchildren but longevity of your knee is important. Please do remember to rate my answer by clicking excellent service as this is the only way we get assessed and paid for our work and time on this site.