Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Orthopedic Surgeon
Experience:  More than a decade of post qualification experience
4931939

Considering the benefits of cervical fusion. I want an

Customer Question

Considering the benefits of cervical fusion. I want an honest no BS answer from someone who's an expert and or specialist in this type of procedure?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I amCustomeran orthopedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today.
I do cervical fusions.Tell me in detail what you would like to know.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Sawhney,I appreciate your fast reply and I have to said that my reason for asking about the benefits of having a fusion surgery is due to the fact that I'm feeling scare about the procedure and possible negative outcomes. How long would the recovery be for a fusion with graph and screws. How successful are this type of surgery vs a less invasive approach. I have tried acupuncture, traction, massage, medial block branch injections and they only last a very short period of time. My issue's are with C4, C5, C6, C7. FROM mild to severe spondylosis, narrowing of the foramen, bulging discs , bone spurs and a whole bunch of other terms that I need a radiologist to explain in order to make sense to me. If you need more specific info I could dig in my medical records and provide that. At this point I would appreciate all the info I can get in regards ***** ***** above-mentioned. ThanksJosel Montesinos
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****l
Thanks for replying.
Without more specific information about your case I can give a generic answer but I can be more specific if you give me more specific information about your particular case.
If you have had no relief with conservative treatment including medial branch blocks you should consider surgical treatment.Generally speaking cervical fusion is a very successful procedure with patients getting good relief of pain and other symptoms.
It takes about 3 months for the graft to get incorporated and fuse the two vertebrae in a single level fusion.If greater number of levels are to be fused fusion may take longer.
Generally fusion rates are higher with a single level fusion compared to multiple level fusion and therefore least number of levels should be fused.
It has better results compared to less invasive options like foraminotomy.
Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will mobility be affected after a single level fusion. What limitations if any after full recovery?
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 1 year ago.
There would not be much difference in range of motion after single level fusion as compensatory increase occurs at adjacent levels.
This increase is more at inferior levels compared to levels superior to fusion level.
Till the fusion occurs you may need support of a collar or a brace.After fusion there is not much restriction imposed on daily activities.