Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Almost a 2.5 months back I had some back pain and during

Customer Question

Almost a 2.5 months back I had some back pain and during that time one day suddenly the back became stiff for some time and it pained a lot. That pain continued for almost a week. After that week, the front muscle above the kneecap started paining. And
after few days of that my knee was little swollen. Since then I was having tightness in knee and having difficultly walking. When I consulted my primary Dr she suggested to wait and then ordered for MRI in Knee. Also she felt there is a fluid formation in
right kneee. It did not show any signs of soft tissue tear or damage. MRI conclution is a strain or degenerative changes. And Dr referred to PT and so far I had six sessions. And the pain in the front muscle of the knee has moved to back and then to front
right side of the calf. PT felt that my back pain (In past I had some lower back problems) is causing some pain int he knee muscle/nerve. And his current focus is to move/remove the pain to back and then work on back later. He suggested to do some excercises
and the recovery was slow. Later I was referred to an Othopedic and the Dr examined and she drained out the fluid (around 30cc) from knee, after that there was no discomfort and was able to walk normally without any limping. She concluded that my musles above
the knee are very weak and I need regorous PT sessions, which I need to start soon. And this is becuase I was limping around for almost two months. Also there is still pain in the knee once in a while I am experiencing, but not always. Offlate I am observing
that the muscle mass on thigh above knee is very soft and when compared to the not affected leg. And the paremeter of effected leg thighis almost 1 inch less then unaffected leg. On the internet I am seeing something called muscle atrophy, is this condition
really a atrophy. I am very worried why this happened. Can I regain the muscle mass? Does having PT session help? Is this some kind of desease condition? are there any medications/Deit that will help to improve the muscle mass?
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Have you had an MRI of the lower spine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't have one. Dr suggest only for knee
There is more than knee pain going on.
See a doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation, a type of MD.
He/she will order the MRI of the lower spine, where you can have disc disease contributing to the problem.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.