DoctorGZ
DoctorGZ, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified in Orthopedics

i had xrays done with these results: hypertrophic degenerative

Customer Question

i had xrays done with these results: hypertrophic degenerative marginal spur formation and mild disc narrowing is noted at C4-C5 and C5-C6.Odontoid process appears intact.Neural foramina appears intact.The report followed by the radiologist IMPRESSION:Mild degenerative changes are noted with disc narrowing at C4-C5 AND C5-C6.
What this report means ? what could be done to fix the root of this problem,?do i have disc or arthritis? can a chiropractor fix the problem? medictions been taken as muscle relaxer and ibuprophen with little help,so i am looking for a real solution. thanks
Category: Orthopedics
Expert:  tabortho replied 1 year ago.

tabortho : Your X-ray report shows that you have arthritis. There does not seem to be any nerve compression. If you are mainly having neck pain, your best bet would be physical therapy with tractor, or a chiropractor.if you are having pain going into your shoulder blade area or arms, or are having numbness, tingling, weakness, or loss of strength or coordinationin your arms or hands, you need an MRI
Customer :

hello

Customer :

are you there

Expert:  DoctorGZ replied 1 year ago.
I see a lot of people with what looks like "minor" changes on their xrays. I say minor since relative to other xrays that we see, your description is not so bad. The mild spurring is an indication of movement between the spinal elements that is related to disc disease. When the disc is not normal, some of the material in the disk can push or put pressure on the nearby nerves. At each spine level, there is a nerve root or nerve branch that exits of both the left and right sides. They then combine and separate in a complex fashion (the brachial plexus) and go down the arm.
There are typically 2 issues: neck pain and nerve problems. Most spine surgeons will be interested in surgery if there is a nerve problem and operate for pain only if it is severe.
Since you do not describe nerve problems (numbness, tingling, weakness in the hand or arm), therapy will usually be helpful. A therapist will usually try different treatments until they find what works for you. I have had the greatest success with traction (they have home traction that fits over a door and can be used 1-2 times per day at your convenience) and moist heat - that is a moist heating pad.
I hope that helps!