Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I discovered a swollen and painful preauricular node today.

Customer Question

I discovered a swollen and painful preauricular node today. I am a 61 year old female with no ocular problems, no other symptoms. I have been excessively tired for several months. Have recently had a bad fall in which I hit my face on the wall and fell to severely hurt my hip at Thanksgiving. What type of Doctor should I see. What symptoms should I be concerned about? Could it be associated with teeth problems.? The excessive fatigue concerns me!
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No. However I have some teeth that I have to have crowned. I did see the dentist about 4 months ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i was in the hospital and had MRIs with my hip injury. They did a scan on my head as well. Nothing was brought up. That was thanksgiving.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

sorry about your painful lymph node.

dental infections and hitting your face can cause swollen preauricular lymph node.

many issues can cause severe fatigue. you need to see your primary care doctor and get routine blood tests and thyroid hormone levels checked and ultrasound of the neck and preauricular area. I bet they find a reactive lymph node there.

viral infections like mononucleosis viral infection can cause severe fatigue and enlarged lymph nodes.

it sounds like you are worried about cancer, which would be unlikely.