tazechip
tazechip, Other
Experience:  Years of surgical and critical care experience
18722459

10 days ago, I caught a cold:cough from my son. His cough

Customer Question

10 days ago, I caught a cold:cough from my son. His cough lasted 3 weeks. I went to the doctor and he said it was viral but still gave me antibiotics. I'm done with it and I'm better but I still have like a rattle sometimes and cough up stuff. Sometimes it's an annoying wheezing feeling and then most times there's not. I don't cough at night. Is this normal for bronchitis after 10 days?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  tazechip replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Any fever and is there any color to the phlegm you cough up?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It's like yellow and no fever at all. Just the annoying feeling and cough sometimes. Much less then when it began but still there. Sometimes I can get "globs" up. Gross I know.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sometimes it's like a wheeze and then most times that's no present. It's strange. After coffee I have the wheeze and cough a bunch
Expert:  tazechip replied 15 days ago.

Thanks.

It sounds like a bacterial asthmatic bronchitis problem and it seems the antibiotics you were given didn't rid you of the infection. Sometimes a doctor chooses an antibiotic to which the bacteria involved are resistant. You need to see the doctor again and this time around I would sent a sputum sample to the lab for culture and sensitivities, give you a different antibiotic for the time being, and add a Medrol DosePak for the inflammatory wheezing you're having.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok. But overall, normal? I'm 32 and worry endlessly about cancer or something scary
Expert:  tazechip replied 15 days ago.

No, not cancer--I promise you that. And normal in the sense that the antibiotics you were given just weren't the right ones

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok.
Thanks. Very much. I don't cough at night. Which is awesome. And I read that if it were serious I would probably cough while I slept too?
Expert:  tazechip replied 15 days ago.

No more serious really--it wouldn't indicate pneumonia if you did cough at night

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok. Thanks. But not like lung cancer right?
Expert:  tazechip replied 15 days ago.

Lung cancer doesn't present like this and again I promise you it's not that