Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Can ascites cause severe lower back pain at pelvis?

Customer Question

Can ascites cause severe lower back pain at pelvis ?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry your friend is having pain. The answer is yes. Liver disease and or pancreatic disease can cause ascites, which is an increase in abdominal fluids, sometimes as much as gallons. The tissue, muscles and intestines get stretched and that causes referred pain to the surrounding pelvic and back muscles. Many times the fluid needs to be drained from the belly. This is done with a large bore needle inserted above the bladder through the abdominal wall. The fluid can then be tested to see if there are any abnormal cells. I hope you wanted that detailed of an explanation.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

How is your friend feeling?