Scott Rebich
Scott Rebich, Doctor
Experience:  Resident physician
96592888

I had a tonsil biopsy and now I have lots of pain and my

Customer Question

I had a tonsil biopsy and now I have lots of pain and my body is sending very thick phlem to this area now. Is this normal? How long does it take for it to go away?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  khagihara replied 23 days ago.
What is the reason you have the biopsy?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.

im not asking for a diagnosis. Please answer my original question.

Expert:  khagihara replied 23 days ago.

I don't need the diagnosis. I just want to know your symptoms before your doctor performed the biopsy. Any medications?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.

please opt out. we are going no where.

Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 22 days ago.

Any type of biopsy can have a significant amount of pain. Unfortunately, the mouth is subject to constant trauma from swallowing and drinking so it takes much longer to heal. In addition, like biopsies anywhere else on the body, there is an inflammatory response that produces phlegm to help fight any possible infections, as well as help the body heal. It is just more noticeable in the mouth due to the location. Most skin biopsies, for example, will take about 5-10 days to heal. A tonsil biopsy can take about 15 - 20 days to heal due to the constant trauma from food. You can try to eat softer food to avoid further trauma. Ultimately, you symptoms are normal.

Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 20 days ago.

If I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to Rate my service.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.

so phlem in the tonsil area, where I have to spit it out, it is white, thick, sticky is normal?

Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 19 days ago.

Phlegm is your natural body response to fighting off any infection or inflammation. White is usually indicative of inflammation and not infection. Therefore, you body is responding to the recent biopsy. I would call your surgeon just to make sure that he is not concerned.