Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have stage four BRAF colon cancer which has spread to the

Customer Question

Hi Doctor,I have stage four BRAF colon cancer which has spread to the liver.After eight chemo treatments (Folfoxiri/Avastin) the two main tumors have been reduced in 1/2 the second reduced by 2/3rds.Today I had a chemo treatment scheduled.My oncologist was out of town so I met with his nurse practitioner and she told me my platlet level was too low and she could not give me the treatment.It was 79 and my last treatment it was 88.My issue is I have an appointment with MD Anderson on the 23rd and if I cancel it will cost me a few thousand dollars and I can not get another appointment for at least two months.I can not reach my oncologist for answers.My questions are1.Can my doctor send an order to another hospital in Houston that would administer my chemo treatment?2.My chemo treatment consists of six hours in office and two days at home with the chemo bag.How much would I be sacrificing if I skipped the two days and went to Houston after my six hours of in office treatment?3.If my platlet count of 79 is too low what level does it need to be to continue my treatments.My PT and INR are normal.4.I understand another option would be to skip the treatment and wait for two weeks however this concerns me because the three weeks after my surgery before chemo began the tumors grew substantially.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 6 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

1)Yes

2)Not much of significance

3)that is not too low. less than 50 is too low

4)This is an option too but I agree. I wouldn't wait

is this helpful?