Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

I had a thyroidectomy September 2013 for Metastaic papillary

Customer Question

I had a thyroidectomy September 2013 for Metastaic papillary thyroid carcinoma. My most recent TSH test came back 8.44 H and Thyroglobulin Antiboties came back 62 H. What does this mean. My Dr requested a PetScan which has been denied but my insurance.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

Hi Dr. Mo here, please give me a moment to reply.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

Your TSH can be high, that doesn't mean anything abnormal. What is your T3 or T4 levels?

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

The PET scan is done to see if there are any thyroid cancer cells left in the body, but usually further blood testing can determine that as well. Who ordered the tests? Your endocrinologist or your primary care doctor?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
My T4 is 11.9 and my T3 is 112. test wher ordered by my endocrinologist
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

Those numbers seem high. Are these recently elevated? I'm guessing after 2013 they checked all your values and they were normal. Usually that's done every 6months-1year.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

A PET scan is important to get. It could either be a little bit of thyroid tissue that grew back or it could be that they cancer didn't get removed fully. A PET scan and a thyroid uptake scan are what you will need next.

Still, don't be alarmed, it just might mean you might need another surgery but doesn't mean that you are at risk of worsening of the cancer.

Do you have any way to get the PET scan done outside of your network? By paying for it out of pocket perhaps?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I was getting check every 6 mo and everything was in normal range. Thne my Dr said he would see me in a year whchi are theses test that where just taken a week ago
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

I see. That makes sense.

So, I would recommend the PET and maybe even the thyroid uptake test.

Why don't you start with the PET, if the insurance doesn't approve it (which is absurd) then just either switch to a different insurance or pay out of pocket. You can likely later submit the cost if it comes back abnormal.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The fact that my Dr wants a Pet Scan could mean he may be concerned there is cancer in other areas of my body, correct. I had breast cancer in 1998.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

A PET scan is done to see inflammation as well as cancer, you are correct. Your doctor is likely mostly trying to see if there is anything abnormal on the neck, it could be that the cancer has spread to other sites but that's less likely since you already had surgery done.

Did you have radiation as well?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I did have 1-131 Iodine Pill follwed by a whole body scan
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
15 November 2016 02:54
yes I did have 1-131 Iodine Pill follwed by a whole body scan
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

Okay, good, so the treatment was quite thorough.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok I cant afford to pay for a Pet Scan, I pay to much for medical insurance. I'll just have my husband sue the insurance company if I have cancer and I die...........
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

You could do that as well.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks that's very encouraging and optimistic..........Thank you for your input..GoodBy
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

Sorry, I thought you were being facetious, I didn't mean that in a serious way.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

I think if you just contact the insurance company and tell them the situation they will immediately reverse their silly decision.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

I didn't mean to come across incensitive, I was trying to help you.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 21 days ago.

Hi. I was wondering if you had any updates on your case?

How are you feeling?