Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

What does the medical term "SUV" mean in the field of cancer

Customer Question

what does the medical term "SUV" mean in the field of cancer treatment? how long has the cancer medical industry been using this term?…… how does the medical industry use this term? What SUV number is ***** dangerously too high and unhealthy? thank you
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 3 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.SUV or standardised Uptake values refer to the uptake of FDG which helps evalaute a patients response to cancer therapy.FDG refers to a radio-laballed tracer 2 -Deoxy-2-(18F) fluoroD- Glucose used for oncology imaging accounts in all CT/PET imaging processes.It is becoming important in assessing the response to therapy in various patients as it removes bias and many variables.The SUV number helps the radiologist check for the response to therapy and it 's high/low does not cause a problem.

Do you need any more information?