Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I'm a 23 year old male and I'm concerned that I may have

Customer Question

I'm a 23 year old male and I'm concerned that I may have lung cancer. I should preface this with the fact that I suffer from health anxiety.
I would consider myself fairly healthy and am not a smoker. My girlfriend smokes so I am exposed to second hand smoke and i will occasionally have a cigarette once in a blue moon. I don't believe I have any family history of lung cancer besides my grandfather dying from it in his mid 80s (he was a life long smoker). Some other basic facts: I weigh 170lbs, my blood work always comes back normal, and I had a chest x ray done in 2014 after suffering from a bout of environmentally induced asthma after coming back from China. I remember my GP saying that the x ray was fine other than some irritation but the picture wasn't super clear.
Now on to my current fear of lung cancer. For the past several days, I've been experiencing this weird chest pain. I made the mistake of Googling the symptoms of lung cancer and am terrified that my chest pain is a sign of cancer. The pain/discomfort is intermittent and is more pronounced with certain movements such as moving my arms like I'm doing a push up or stretching. I can also feel the pain/discomfort when I press down on my chest. It starts along my inner pectoral muscles and extends up into my chest (like below my clavicle). It's also sometimes more pronounced when I take deep breaths. would the pain from lung cancer be similar to muscular pain? I don't have any other symptoms and feel fine besides having this chest tightness/discomfort.
Is there a chance that I could have lung cancer or is this just completely irrational?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 24 days ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,chances of lung cancer are nil in your case.

However other possible causes may include Costochondritis(inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join the cartilage that attaches them to the breastbone),Muscloskeletal pain,chest infection,Gastroesophageal acid reflux.

You should try some self care measures like

Steam inhalation.

Also do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment on affected area.

Also take OTC Prilosec and Motrin.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

You should avoid passive smoking if possible for a while.

Avoid alcohol,caffeinated beverages,spicy,fried food.

Cover your mouth with mask while outside.

Take OTC Claritin.

If your symptoms'll persist then see your doctor for chest auscultation,chest X-ray,blood work for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 24 days ago.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.