Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I am a 6'0" 195 pound 20 year old male who has a recent

Customer Question

I am a 6'0" 195 pound 20 year old male who has a recent history of frequent mild to moderate heartburn. The symptoms i have experienced with it are sharp chest pain under the breastbone, a dull pain to the left of my breastbone where the heart is when burping. I am currently taking Omeprazole 20 mg for the reflux but still getting regurgitation every now and then. My main concern that has brought me here is that the last week or so I have noticed a mild dull pressure/pain above my naval that comes and goes during the day. I'm not sure what is causing it and wondering if this is a typical symptom of acid reflux? I'm worried it might be caused by a hiatus hernia. My grandmother had a hiatus hernia and I know that it is a condition that can be hereditary. My grandfather passed away at the age of 45 from gastric cancer so that is always in the back of my mind.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.
Do you have pain after eating meals or relieved with meals?
Nausea?
Heaviness in chest?
Bloating and flatulence?
Alcohol and smoking history?
Stress and anxiety issues?
Constipation?
Thanks.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the pain does not seem to be related to eating or drinking. I am not experiencing nausea or loss of appetite. I do not experience heaviness in my chest just the sharp pain behind the breastplate that my doctor said was most likely due to esophageal spasms. I have been flatulent for the past week but it isn't excessive. I have smoked for about 5 years but have never been a heavy smoker. I average maybe 3 or 4 cigarettes a day. I have been experiencing stress due to being a near full time student and part time work. I do suffer from health anxiety but it is mostly under control. I am not experiencing constipated. I have been having solid stools that are easy to pass however they appear to have a slight green tint to the typical medium brown color. I have also noticed that when experiencing the pain movement that involves putting pressure on my core muscles causes a sharp pain in the same area.
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for all these additional information.
I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,chances of hiatus hernia are less.

Possible causes may include Gastroesophageal acid reflux,peptic ulcer.

However as you are currently taking Omeprazole 20 mg with little relief so I would recommend to see a gastroenterologist for a clinical examination and other prescribed medications like H-2-receptor blockers
Prokinetics can be helpful.

You should avoid smoking in possible.

Also you should try OTC Zantac 150 mg at bedtime.

You should try OTC Mylanta gas and metamucil.

Do deep breathing exercises.

With your family history,it's good to undergo further investigations like Upper GI scopy,H.Pylori. test,liver function test for further evaluation and management.

Early diagnosis and treatment provide good outcome.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 3 months ago.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.