Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

How do you decide about the best medical oncologists to see

Customer Question

How do you decide about the best medical oncologists to see for breast cancer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Are you looking for a local doctor? Or are you looking nationally?

Do you know what type and stage of breast cancer is present?

I had asked for some clarification and have not heard back.

Objective ranking systems are better for facilities than for individual Oncologists. If you are able to travel nationally, then the facility that has the highest ranking is the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. There are a number of other facilities that are also nationally ranked, including the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, the Dana Farber cancer center in Boston, and the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.

If you are looking for somewhere closer to home than any of these facilities, then please let me know where you are located.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The breast cancer was a cancer contained totally in the ducts (Stage 0). The cancer was totally removed
in two surgeries. We are located in NY and the surgeries were done at NY Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia
University.

Actually, the NY Presbyterian Hospital is also very highly ranked. It is ranked #2 in New York and is within the top 20 nationally.

I would also note that the success rate of treatment for Stage 0 breast cancer is excellent at virtually every facility, so there is usually no need to consider being seen at a nationally ranked facility for management of Stage 0 breast cancer.