Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

My 6-year-old daughter has had a lump in her neck for about

Customer Question

My 6-year-old daughter has had a lump in her neck for about 4 years. Recently, we changed doctors, and after 4 years of being told the lump was nothing, the new doctor decided to have an ultrasound done to find out what was causing the lump. The radiologist came back that she has reactive lymph node/s. The doctor is concerned with the amount of time that the node/s have been "reactive" and has referred us to hematology-oncology to determine if the node should be biopsied. Long story short: what should I expect? What's my range of best-to-worst? What is even likely? Thanks.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query. The decision to do a lymph node biopsy is the right one,this will help decide if there is a chronic infection of the draining area{like tuberculosis, cat scratch fever,cytomegalovirus infection,chronic staph inspection) or their are other more serious problems.Congenital mass will include thyroglossal duct cyst,dermoid cyst,haemangioma ,av malformations ,Benign masses will include lipoma,fibroma,neurofibroma and salivary gland tumours.Malignant masses are rare and include lymphoma,thyroid carcinomas,rhabdomyosarcoma and others including Hodgkins.The biopsy should ideally be done by a head and Neck surgeon as he may need to remove the whole mass if required.