Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

What is this skin lesion? I was removing my tonsil stones

Customer Question

What is this skin lesion? I was removing my tonsil stones and noticed this it's located in my anterior tonsil pillar... was thinking it could be normal lymphoid tissue then my mind started running and I conceded it's some kind of cancer or HPV? So what could this lesion be exactly???
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This a ptc
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is a picture
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

It's hard to say based only on this picture, but this does not appear to be neoplastic. A lymphoid polyp would be a consideration, as the lymphatic tissue there may enlarge and shrink depending on what organisms it is exposed to. Other less likley possibilites would be a mucocele or leukoplakia, a thickened, white patch that sometimes forms (especially in smokers) on the gums, the insides of the cheeks, or the base of the mouth. These types of things will often regress on their own over the course of weeks or months. Anything that doesn't, or that grows in size, should be examined promptly, of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I'm freaking out thinking what if it's HPV !? And I develop a cancer what should I do to reduce this anxiety??? ..... I attached another image what do you think it looks like here ... and do we even have lymph tissue in this area (the anterior tonsil pillar)
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

There is a lot of lymphoid tissue present throughout the oropharynx, especially in and around the tonsils. That said, the appearance is non-specific, but benign...can't say for sure that it wasn't triggered by HPV but there are over one hundred strains of HPV and very few of them are associated with OP cancer. Even when we do get one of these strains, they don't always cause cancer. We may clear the virus completely or it can linger for awhile without leading to cancer....as there are other factors involved in cancer genesis including other risk factors (e.g. smoking) and the strength of the immune system.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do you think I should worry that it's something dangerous? Does it look suspicious or dangerous to you? I think it does remember mucocele....
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

I agree that it appears benign, though pictures don't tell the whole story of course. I can say that I see these types of irregular growths from time to time and they almost never turn out to be anything worrisome. The only way to know for sure would be to show it to your doctor or dentist and have a biopsy done if suspicion remains after examining it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there a chance it's just lymphoid tissue...?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Sure. It could also be a mucosal skin tag or retention cyst or hyperplastic polyp. Most causes are benign. It would be important to monitor it over time ("watchful waiting") and let your doctors know about any changes. You might actually notice it start to regress within a few weeks or months.