Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am post radiation and chemotheyapy and stem cell

Customer Question

I am post radiation and chemotheyapy and stem cell transplant for Hodgkin's Lymphoma by 16 years, but for at least 10 of these years have been suffering from severe GERD, and has gone as far Barretts. I have had the nissen flundoplcation 3 times and has not helped. They are suggesting Gastric Bypass, does this really help if there is damage to the esophogus post treatment???? what would your recommendation be?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

why do you have damage to your esophagus? from radiation therapy? radiation should have been only 4 weeks for lymphoma.

have you had an upper endoscopy scope to look down your esophagus?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
several over the years, None of the previous surgies have helped even after doing umpteen dialations. I am at the end of my rope. Yes the damage to my esophagus is from radiation.....granted it was back in 1998 1999, I know hings were different....but I want to start feeling like a "normal" 53" year old. I never gained energy back either. the fatigue is horrendous.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am sorry, would love to talk with you, but I am on diability, therefore very low income. If you have the time, may be I can feel better about what to do.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are you able to answer any more questions

4 weeks of radiation should not have damaged the esophagus.

hodgin's lymphoma are very radiation sensitive tumors, usually only 4 weeks of radiation is needed to kill lymphoma.

the esophagus can tolerate up to 5 1/2 weeks of radiation.

do you have esophageal strictures?

have you been tested for H Pylori?

I assume you have tried proton pump inhibitors

I am not sure if a gastric bypass will work or not.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had at least 2 rounds of chemo and radiation, because within a few months it came back twice after first diagnosis. It was after it came back the 3rd time we did the stem cell. I believe part of the damage is chemo related as well. I was trested with some pretty toxic stuff back then. adromycin (the red devil), bleomycin and many more
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Don't know if they use the regimens now as they did back then. I doubt it. I hope not. They were really toxic for me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is the bypass successfull when there is this in the mixture of symptoms.

yes, adriamycin can be toxic to your heart

bleomycin can cause pulmonary fibrosis and can be toxic to your lungs.

the gastric bypass can stop stomach acid from coming up into your esophagus.

but you may have to eat smaller meals and more frequent smaller meals because the stomach will no longer be there to hold food for you like before.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't want to do it if it is not going to work, but want to do something, I can barely keep food down. It gets caught in my throat and I end up vomiting most everything up

if your doctors think this is the best shot for you, then you should try it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But try and being successful are two different things...is there a good chance it will work

yes there is more than a 50% chance it will help your symptoms improve.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is such a major surgery, and I have only heard a couple of positive results and they did not have the damage I do. It scares me/ Do you know of any other procedure, that may help. I have tried all of the medications I think at least once, and with the other surgeries not doing much for any length of time if at all, if there are other options, I would like to know and weigh them out...I think...

I don't know of any other options at this point.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok thanks....thank you for your time.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com