Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I just logged into much art and read results from a recent

Customer Question

Hi. I just logged into much art and read results from a recent CT scan of my neck. I was diagnosed with stage 1 papillary thyroid cancer last sept, and metastasis on 2 lymphs post thyrodectomy. Since I have had a Taste of blood constant, my Doc had me sent for CT scan. The results read: " non specific 14mm homogeneous node on left level 1B"
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: yes. I don't my follow up apt until early part of nov. what does that ct scan diagnosis mean? Can it mean metastasis or reoccurrence of carcinoma?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  dr abid replied 7 days ago.

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  dr abid replied 7 days ago.

This is a single node which suggest possibly recurrence of carcinoma , so this need further evaluation please .

Regards ***** *****

Thanks .

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for the info. This was what I suspected. Constant taste of blood is what I have had for the past few months. What type of testing will my ENT doc need to schedule now? They did not discover the thyroid cancer until post tyrodectomy as the fine needle biopsy came back "benign" initially. Also, i had RAI pill could that have caused the lymph to enlarge? I have had ringing in my ears again that had gone away after the surgery, and I feel nauseous and sick in my belly with not wanting to eat much. How do they treat reoccurrence in case that is what this is?
Expert:  dr abid replied 7 days ago.

It would be ideal to get Thyroid scan to know whether that nodule is cold or hot , so ask your dr for that .

Second it would be ideal to scan adjacent node to check for any new nodal involvement please .

Good luck .

Please click on good rating .

Thanks .

Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 days ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

the taste of blood you are having most likely is not from your history of papillary thyroid cancer. it is more likely due to gingivitis inflammation of the gums in your mouth or from bad acid reflux or sinus infection. do you have bad teeth? when was the last time you saw a dentist to be checked for gingivitis. gums tend to bleed very easily when you have gingivitis.

that 14 mm lymph node most likely is a reactive lymph node and not due to your papillary thyroid cancer. the prior radioactive iodine should have killed any thyroid cancer in your body.

ask your doctor for an thyroglobulin blood test which can be elevated in patients who have thyroid cancer.

your doctors should also be giving you thyroid hormone pills to help suppress your TSH levels down to below 1.0 range. this can help suppress any potential thyroid cancer cells in your body. what is your most recent TSH blood level.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using