Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have just completed my surgery for breast cancer, HER@

Customer Question

I have just completed my surgery for breast cancer, HER@ Positive, no lymph involvement in Australia. Have not started chemo, I am concerned wtth the use of Taxotore and Carboplatin (something like this) and its effects on the nerves. I wanted tot know if I could take 1. Chlorella, 2. L- Glutamine Powder and 3. Curcumin during this?
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Sorry I just saw I wrote, its meant to be HER2 Positive. I am pretty fit, I have had in my past boils and skin rashes especially when out in the sun. My first time with a major issue like this.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  dr abid replied 1 month ago.

Cardiotoxic and Neurotoxic side effects are rare with Chemo drugs , this is not good to use any Prophylactic treatment for Neurotoxicity , it would be ideal for you to start Chemo and donot worry .

Regards .

If you have further quires let me know .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

I am sorry about your recent diagnosis of breast cancer.

as you know, her-2/neu positive breast cancers can be more aggressive than others and can spread to other parts of your body.

I'm glad you don't have lymph node involvement.

how old are you? younger women tend to have more aggressive breast cancer.

what is your estrogen receptor status.

Taxotere does have a high chance of causing peripheral neuropathy of your fingers and toes, but usually the neuropathy symptoms are mild and go away with time.

you can ask your doctor about the Chlorella and Glutamine powder and curcumin supplements. these supplements are not well studied in cancer patients and we are not sure if they really help prevent or reverse neuropathy

some doctors believe in B12 supplements to help neuropathy. other doctors use medications like neurontin or gabapentin or pregabalin to help treat peripheral neuropathy in patients.

your chemotherapy may be needed to help decrease chances of systemic spread of your breast cancer.

also anti-estrogen medications like tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors can help decrease chances of your cancer coming back in the rest of your body

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com