Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Will a Hematologist order a bone marrow biopsy for platelet

Customer Question

Will a Hematologist order a bone marrow biopsy for platelet count of 500,000? Count has been elevated for 6 months, but this is the first visit with the hematologist.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have high cholesterol that is controlled by Lipitor. I also take 0.5mg Ativan as needed and 5mg Ambien as needed. All other counts on all CBC tests have been in normal ranges.

Depending on the results of your other tests, physical findings as well as your symptoms, I would say that there is a very good chance that she would order a bone marrow biopsy.

The good news?

A bone marrow biopsy doesn't hurt as much as it sounds like it would....

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will there be other non-invasive testing prior to making the decision that a biopsy is needed?I have had no symptoms and the count was only detected as part of a routine physical. I was also able to locate older test results and it appears that my platelet count has been elevated since 2013 and was just not mentioned by doctors at that time.

From the data you have provided it is impossible for me to guess what the hematologist might do before she would do a biopsy.

The bot***** *****ne? The hematologist will do what testing she feels is necessary to get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS