dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have ten years of experience to handle patients in different fields of Medicine including Oncology.

Can stem cell therapy be given without first destroying the

Customer Question

Can stem cell therapy be given without first destroying the cells of the bone marrow?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  dr abid replied 18 days ago.

Hi. I amCustomerWelcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  dr abid replied 18 days ago.

As in Myelodysplastic cells abnormal cells resides in bone marrow , that should be destroyed before transfusing healthy cells .

So patient receives high dose chemotherapy and/or total body irradiation to kill the cells in the bone marrow (including the abnormal bone marrow cells). Then the patient receives new, healthy blood forming stem cells.

So no stem cell therapy cannot be given without destroying cells of bone marrow .

Regards .

“Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please take the time to leave me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer. You can always ask me for a follow-up question post rating the answer. You can also ask for me in the future by going on the link”