Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I just recieved the news I have anal cancer. As you can

Customer Question

Hello, I just recieved the news I have anal cancer. As you can imagine, it was qute a shock and I didn't ask all the questions I should when I received the news. My biggest question is how do they determine if the cancer has moved to other areas? I have an appointment with an oncologist but I want to make sure I don't miss anything when we meet. I am learning the hard way I need to be extremely proactive in making sure I am asking the tough questions.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: No, I went in because I had bleeding and underwent a colonostopy and they removed a lump in my anus for biopsy. I had a similar lump removed 4 years ago and the doctor told me it was irregular cells but did not make a point of telling me it was maglignant. I only learned about the first lump when my new doctor pulled the records from the first doctor. !st doc said not to worry, have another colonostipy in 5 years.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing that comes to mind outside of some low back pain that started a few months ago. I figured I strained some muscles or it's from sitting at my desk working all the time.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 29 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. I am sorry that you have been found to have anal cancer.

The primary test that is done to assure that there is no spread of the cancer would be a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis. This will allow for assessment of the regional lymph nodes and the liver. Anal cancer will usually first spread to the lymph nodes and then to the liver.

It is also appropriate to look for other manifestations of cancer or HPV. Anal cancer is frequently associated with HPV infection. For a male, this would typically involve a colonoscopy and a detailed genital exam. For a female, this would involve a pelvic exam and screening for cervical cancer and HPV. (I realize that you would have said your gender when registering for the site, but the personal information is kept private, so that I cannot see it, so I cover both genders.)

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.