Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

I have had abdominal pain upper just below right rib cage.

Customer Question

I have had abdominal pain upper just below right rib cage. Many test indicated nothing. Just did a CT of Abdomen showed a more focally prominent/nodular appearance of pancreatic head. A high resolution sonogram showed a thickened pancreatic head with a lobular contour. No Discrete mass. They want to do an MRI. They are indicating this may just be how my pancreas is. So, What is No discrete mass? and what does thickened pancreatic head with lobular countour mean? Could it just be that is the way my pancreas is formed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 month ago.

The main potential concern could be a presentation of pancreatic cancer ..did they check pancreas enzymes >> lipase and amylase?? If elevated then that may be sign of inflammatory process of pancreas

Pain due to the pancreas is most typically mid upper abdomen and commonly radiating to back...

While I express this as a major possible concern it is NOT CLEAR FROM YOUR REPORT THAT YOU HAVE ANY PANCREATIC CANCER ...

It is good and hopeful that you do not have seen a discrete / separate mass within the pancreas ...yet the thickness of the head of pancreas and lobulated contour is NOT CLEAR at this point as to cause ...

I think discuss with your gastroenterologist further on these findings ...

A PET SCAN which looks for abnormal metabolic activity may be of help to evaluating your pancreas further

The MRI planned makes sense as being a different technology of imaging the internal organs to help shed light on this ...

The question at this point seems up in the air with a range of thecbenign to malignant as being potential ..

Hopefully this will be a good result for you ...

Most cases of pancreatic cancer show varied density of the pancreatic

Tissue which may be best picked up as the planned MRI

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Again follow up is welcome ...