Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

In June I had a cancerous tumor removed from my colon as

Customer Question

Sir,In June I had a cancerous tumor removed from my colon as well as one foot of the colon and seven lymph nodes.The cancer had spread to my liver and there were two larger tumors and some smaller ones.As I am sure you understand my prognosis was very poor.The cancer was diagnosed as BRAF and the tumor was removed from the ascending part of the colonI have had five chemo treatments since,Folfoxiri and Avastin and two days at home each time with Nuelasta.On Wednesday I had a cat scan.It showed one tumor had been reduced in size from 20mm to 7mm and the other from 10cm to 5cm. There were several smaller ones that were also reduced in size.The nurse that called me was quite excited and I felt they were not expecting this result ? Is this normal? Does this change my prognosis?I also lost my BCBS Advantage insurance for the month of September which I am still working on.My one chemo treatment they tell me they will bill Medicare $20,000.Since I only have part A and B of Medicare I am responsible for 20% of the the Medicare allowed amount.Is there anyway to estimate how much medicare will pay the clinic of the $20,000Thank you,Fred
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are battling colon cancer spread to lymph nodes and your liver.

that is a good sign your cancer has shrunk down with chemotherapy treatments.

your prognosis is sill very serious.

medicare tends to cover only 80% of clinic charges.

you need to talk to a social worker about getting a secondary insurance

or applying for your state's Medicaid insurance to cover the last 20% of charges.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Doctor,I do not feel your response answered my questions

what other questions do you have?

The nurse that called me was quite excited and I felt they were not expecting this result ? Is this normal? Does this change my prognosis?

it is normal for nurses to call up patients and be happy that their tumors have shrunk down

your prognosis is better now that your tumors have responded to the chemotherapy

it is better than if your tumor grew despite the chemotherapy.