Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

You showed an esophagus problem last week. What was that

Customer Question

You showed an esophagus problem last week. What was that called?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer,

Which show are you referring to? What is your medical question? Do you have any symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think it was on 08/17. There was a fit woman in her 20's that has had breathing problems her whole life. After surgery, her problem was gone. They thought it was asthma until they found something to do with her asaphagus.
Yes, they say as of age 50 something, I suddenly have asthma, but I also have problems swallowing some foods. This was after a sudden "resperatory failure" accurance.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What was her prognosis before surgery called?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Dear customer,

You are referring to gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this condition there is backflow of stomach acid from the stomach to the esophagus and sometimes to the ears, nose, throat, vocal cords, sinuses, mouth, and lung as well. The acid reflux can worsen asthma and asthma can worsen acid reflux. Before undergoing surgery medications such as prilosec or zantac may be advised by your doctor to know whether your symptoms are due to reflux and whether they decrease on treatment with medications that decrease acid production in the stomach. Before this investigations such as endoscopic examination of the esophagus and stomach may be needed to diagnose GERD.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above.