Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

My 15 year daughter had a huge 35 pound malignant tumor

Customer Question

My 15 year daughter had a huge 35 pound malignant tumor (osteosarcoma) removed from her leg yesterday via amputation. (The original diagnosis of Osteosarcoma was back in March 2016 after the oncologist reviewed MRI and biopsy results.)
Pre-surgery chemotherapy was not administered. Pre-surgery CT scan showed no metastesis. I asked the oncologist if the tumor was truly malignant, or could it have been a benign mass. 1. How can the oncologist determine if the March diagnosis of Osteosarcoma 5 months ago was accurate?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

It is not difficult actually as you mentioned that the biopsy done in March showed osteosarcoma so if it was a biopsy proven diagnosis then absolutely no doubt in it to be an osteosarcoma and not a benign tumor

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

I am sorry about your daughter and her amputation

tissue from a biopsy is reviewed and tested and evaluated by a MD doctor called a pathologist who writes a report called a pathology report to tell the results of the tissue biopsy tests and evaluation.

that biopsy from March would have been evaluated by a pathologist and tested

the oncologist would have obtained a copy of that pathology report.

if the biopsy and the amputation where done at the same hospital, the pathologist could have also compared the tissue samples from both the biopsy and amputation and said they were the same diagnosis as well.

why did she have a delay from March until now for surgery for her osteosarcoma?