Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have been checked for the last five years for multiple

Customer Question

I have been checked for the last five years for multiple myeloma and so far it is still called smolderingMM and I have had no treatments. But at my last visit, my kappa flc was 3.92 and the kappa lambda ratio was 2.47. My dr. was going to start me on treatments, but talked to another doctor first, and he said "no" and to not come back for another check till six months. I do have a GFR rate of 37
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: (continued from above) which is partly due to me taking arthritis medications but it did come up some since I have been off them. I also had Wegener;s disease about 30 years ago, but am in remission....so that has probably caused my GFR rate to be low, too. The only other abnormal tests when I had my last visit, were: Urea Nitrogen, blood: 23, Creatnine 1.39, Anion gap 9, . Last November 2015 my Beta 2 Microglobulin was 2539.0 but was not shown on this last test result. I am just rather confused, with the rwo doctors differing on their ideas as to when treatment should begin. Hope I have given you enough information to help. Thanks so much. Mrs. Brannagan
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: It has been quite good, except for a borderline diabetic problem, which I turned around and now my glucose reading is only 71. I have no pain at all, perhaps more tired, but I imagine that could be with the lower GFR rate for awhile. Mrs. Brannagan
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

not drinking enough water or taking NSAIDs like ibuprofen can cause your creatinines levels go up to 1.39

how old are you?

you need to get your M protein levels checked on your serum protein electrophoresis.

I hope you have had a skeletal survey to check for lytic lesions in your bones.

if your creatinine levels are up to 1.39, this can cause your GFR to go down.

if you have the option to not get treatment at this point, I would hold off on treatment for MM

and check your M protein levels again.

and drink more water and fluids to get your creatinine levels back down

let me know if you have questions.