Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My doctor wants to send me to a Hematologist for the

Customer Question

Hello- my doctor wants to send me to a Hematologist for the following blood results. I can see that my WBC and platelets are high- but I'm seeing conflict information on whether or not it actually means anything.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I have felt fine- these are the blood results: Component Your Value Standard Range
WBC 13.4 THOU/uL 4.0 - 10.0 THOU/uL
RBC 5.4 MIL/uL 3.9 - 5.2 MIL/uL
Hemoglobin 15.6 g/dL 11.2 - 15.7 g/dL
Hematocrit 47 % 34 - 45 %
MCV 88 fL 79 - 95 fL
MCH 29 pg/cell 26 - 32 pg/cell
MCHC 33 g/dL 32 - 36 g/dL
RDW 13.6 % 11.7 - 14.4 %
Platelets 463 THOU/uL 160 - 370 THOU/uL
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really- I do have high blood pressure controlled my medication
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How old are you?

M/F?

What symptoms have you been having?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

is your doctor an MD?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi- I am a 43 year old female and I take lisinopril and citalopram. I have been having no symptoms, this was found on a routine blood test. My doctor is an MD and wants to send me to the hematology and hematology/oncology department for workup
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
These are the test details in case they didn't come through:
Component Your Value Standard Range
WBC 13.4 THOU/uL 4.0 - 10.0 THOU/uL
RBC 5.4 MIL/uL 3.9 - 5.2 MIL/uL
Hemoglobin 15.6 g/dL 11.2 - 15.7 g/dL
Hematocrit 47 % 34 - 45 %
MCV 88 fL 79 - 95 fL
MCH 29 pg/cell 26 - 32 pg/cell
MCHC 33 g/dL 32 - 36 g/dL
RDW 13.6 % 11.7 - 14.4 %
Platelets 463 THOU/uL 160 - 370 THOU/uL

There are a number of things that could cause your wbc and platelets to go up.......

That being said? If your MD, who knows you the best and has more data then just these blood results, want to send you to a hematology/oncology department, I would go.

And not spend a lot of time searching for "what could this be" before I go.

Of course, if you want to know what your doctor is thinking as to what you might have that requires the sub specialty consultation, just ask her......

Anything I could tell you would be a guess with the limited data available and would not help you to better know what is happening.

Make sense?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best. If you have a chance let me know what the hematologist finds.