Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Sure. I have had a chronic cough for years and recently had

Customer Question

Sure. I have had a chronic cough for years and recently had a CT scan of my chest and lungs. Here are the findings. My regular doctor retired a few days after this scan. i saw another one and he didn't seem that concerned about it and didn't diagnose me with anything other than chronic bronchitis. Then yesterday, I received a letter from my insurance with a load of info on COPD and how to manage my COPD. I'm confused, because NO ONE has diagnosed me with COPD. Here are the findings of the CT scan.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: There is minimal scarring in the anteromedial aspect of the right middle lobe. The lungs are otherwise clear. No pleural abnormalities are present.
The heart and great vessels are normal. There is no hilar, mediastinal or axillary lymphadenopathy.
The osseous structures and soft tissues of the chest wall are normal.
IMPRESSION: Minimal scarring in the anteromedial aspect of the right middle lobe. Otherwise normal CT examination of the thorax.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I don't smoke. Never have, but am always coughing up clear to slightly yellow phlegm.
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do I have COPD? If so, what is the prognosis and how should I treat it? I'm not really short of breath, just produce an abundance of phlegm and always coughing it up, especially in the am and after eating.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Well there are a couple of things here, the CT scan which you have mentioned is essentially normal in every respect apart from the minimal scarring which could have occurred due to inflammation in the area occurring over the years. Now chronic bronchitis would have shown up in the CT scan as well unless it is in the very early stages, since it hasnt then iteither means that you have very mild chronic bronchitis or you have another problem other than bronchitis. If you do have bronchitis, then it would be classified as COPD as chronic bronchitis is considered as a part of COPD. The symptoms do suggest that you have chronic bronchitis but since the CT scan is normal it is not very severe, in such a scenario the prognosis is very good and with adequate care you should live a normal life. This would be better diagnosed with spirometry and a xray of teh chest. Another diagnosis which should be considered is asthma which can cause the symptoms which you are mentioning, it should be looked into as a cause as well.

One last thing which should be considered is GERD or acid reflux which can cause the coughing, phlegm especially after eating and after waking up in the morning. A simple way to check if this is the case would be to start using OYTC prilosec which should help with the symptoms and if needed an endoscopy can be done to confirm the diagnosis.

In short i dont believe that you have chronic bronchitis but even if you do, it is in the early stages which can be managedeasily. Chronic bronchitis is considered as a part of COPD. But do get evaluated for GERD and asthma as well/

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Treatment for chronic bronchitis includes avoidance of factors which can worsen it like smoking, pollutants, car exhaust fumes etc. In some cases inhalers and steroids may be needed but i think you are currently not at a stage which needs this. But you shoudl continue to have it monitored for the forseeable future, if this is bronchitis that is. The prognosis at this stage as i said is very good.

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.