Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have a 6mm nodule on my left lung in which the doctor is

Customer Question

Hi I have a 6mm nodule on my left lung in which the doctor is doing a second ct to see if it has grown and on my right I have a enlarged 1.1 cm paratracheal lymph node that my doctor didn't order a second ct scan for. He kept saying that the nodule could be from an infection I had and that it could still be trying to resolve itself. I'm extremely concerned. I have right upper chest pain and right arm pit pain
Could this be cancer. Doctor truly didn't seem worried!
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 months ago.

A solitary small nodule would seem less likely to represent a cancer but not impossible sounds that it may be a granuloma ...that is a response to certain infections ...the lymph nodes are normal under 1.0 cm so 1.1 cm is minimally enlarged ...

I think a follow up CT scan would be advisable to male sure that it is a stable nodule and not getting larger over time ...perhaps follow up in 3 to 6 months ....

You could consult a pulmonary specialist if not already ...

Pulmonolgists usually guide management and follow up of such a pulmonary nodule ...

It does seem low risk...

Are you a smoker or no...???

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am seeing a Pulmonologist now. He's the one doing the second ct in my nodule that's on my left lung. But he didn't order a ct for the 1.1 enlarged paratrachel lymph node. I do not smoke. He did say that if it hasn't grown he would do a repeat scan it in 6 months and that its possible the lung nodule could eventually disappear. Is this accurate? And wouldn't it b best to just remove the 1.1,cm paratrachel swollen lymph node ? I'm scared of that cancer!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also if it is cancer and god knows im praying its not ...I have a 3 year old and I'll be 40 September 1st! Could they just remove both nodules safely. What is my possible outcome. Is it early enough to live! I'm so terrified!

No if it is benign you very much want to leave it alone !!! A minimally enlarged lymph node is most likely just a REACTIVE LYMPH NODE just like you may feel enlarged lymph node in the front of the neck if you have a sore is the same type please don't let your worry get you carried away with these findings.

It is FAR FROM TRIVIAL to consider any open lung procedure ...

An open lung biopsy can be is no light matter ....

Nobody would want to begin think of surgery unless such risk was really justified ...

It is very much most likely NOT CANCER I think as you are not a smoker and these are really minimal type findings ..m

I know that you are scared and I get that ...

It is best to evaluate and follow up on these findings and get it noninvasive as long as it makes sense as to keep you at lowest risk...

Also a test that might be considered is a PET scan ( that is a very advanced type test that can look at a lesion in terms of if it is highly metabolically active ...usually cancers show up more on these tests could ask your pulmonologist with that but I suspect that your doctor may also think a PET scan at this point may be overkill...)

You do not want to have the minimal lymph node or the lung nodule operated on at this point as I said because of the risks and that both of these are probably benign..

I hope that this is helpful for you and makes sense ..

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do experience pain on my upper right side of my chest as well as my armpit. Is that normal with these type of enlargements? Do you agree and feel that the nodule on my lung could eventually disappear or stay the same in size and is it possible for the 1.1,cm paratracheal lumphnode to go back down to normal size in time?

Hello again,

I suspect that your nodule is a small granuloma which would be benign..a spot of scar tissue is what we mean would not go away but not enlarge ...

The lymph node is reactive and should decrease in size back less than 1.0 cm over the next few weeks ..Most likely ...

Your chest pain is not clearly related to either of these findings ...

You may have some pleuritis ( inflammation of the pleural lining ..)

I hope that this is helpful for you

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer.

I am sorry you are having right upper chest pain and right arm pit pain.

you may need a shoulder MRI scan or a cervical spine MRI scan to look for pinched nerves in your neck or shoulder problems causing your right chest and right arm pit pain.

I am not worried about a 1.1cm paratracheal lymph node causing pain for you.

you should get a repeat chest CT scan in 6-12 months to continue to watch your left lower lobe 6mm nodule.

most likely it will disappear by then

let me know if you have other questions.