khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

I had an MRI done in March of 2015 on my throat because of

Customer Question

I had an MRI done in March of 2015 on my throat because of pain swallowing and shooting pain into my ear but the EN&T did not read and diagnose my MRI until Sept. 2015 in which there was a cancerous tumor. Would the treatment had been different if the doctor caught the tumor in March and not Sept. I went thru 7 weeks 5 days a week of radiation and three sessions of Chemo and have been left with trouble hearing and numbness and tingleing in my fingers and feet.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 months ago.

What is the name of the cancer? Exactly where is it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OROPHARYNX - It was on the far left side of my throat

I see. What did your doctor say after s/he read the MRI of March, 2015? Did you take another MRI on or after Sep. 2015?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dr. O (he) said I'm sorry there's a tumor and you have cancer. He set up right away to do a biopsy and then a PET scan. This all set in motion a consultation with a group of oncologists in Los Angeles to determine a course of chemo and radiation.

If your cancer already spread and it couldn't be removed with a surgery in the MRI of March, 2015, the treatment could be the same (chemo & radiation). If it didn't spread in the MRI of March, 2015, it could have removed with a surgery and you could have had chemo & radiation to prevent future spreading. So you should take the MRI result of March, 2015 to another diagnostic radiologist and ask him/her to read it to see if the cancer was spread or not if you are considering a lawsuit as malpractice.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When the doctor finally looked at the results of the MRI wad six months later. He performed a Biopsy then had me have P.E.T. scan there were no new mri pics in Sept to compare the Tumor to. The cancer doctors in L.A. that cordinated a plan to treat my cancer, performed a live scope thru my nose to show a group of doctors the tumor & don't know if they captured a photo of the tumor that day.

What is the reason he didn't read the result of MRI of March, 2015? Did he tell you the reason?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The Dr. was going to be removing my thyroid on March 26th

I can't understand your situation around the time. Can you tell me more about your situation around the time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I originally was seeing him as a surgon to have my thyroid remove. I had been on daily medication for an overactive thyroid for more than 12 years & it was suggested by my Enc. Doctor to either have it removed or kill it with radiation. The almost year prior I was having throat pain seperate from the thyroid enough to be shooting pain into my left ear, hence he ordered the MRI 3 days before the surgery to remove my thyroid to see what was going on but the was so involved in my surgery & that outcome he shared with me with an apology for not looking at the MRI results until I was back 6 months later in more pain in my ear & had experienced blood from my throat in my mouth which scared me.

So how do you think about him?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't respect him anymore. He wasn't the one who had to go thru the Chemo & radiation. The side effects even today. The loss of hearing, the lack of taste buds or the numbness in his fingers and feet. The loss of hair etc....I think he was negligent in not looking at an MRI he himself ordered on his patient. Would the treatment had been lesser if he caught the tumor sooner....

It could be. It is difficult to say.