Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I have a 4 cm Left lower quadrant abdominal "mass" at

Customer Question

I have a 4 cm Left lower quadrant abdominal "mass" at approximately the 4 o'clock position of umbilicus. I made a mental note of it about a month and a half ago but noticed within the last 2 to 3 weeks that it grew in size and shape. I went to the Doctor and he sent me for a CT scan with contrast of my abdomen and pelvis. Today I received a copy of the report, that states all of my organs, bowels and blood vessels are all normal in size and appearance. Final impression states: No Mass or lymphadenopathy within abdomen or pelvis. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS; WHY DIDN'T THE CT SCAN DETECT THIS MASS? Is that common?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Well if the CT scan didnt detect a mass inside the abdomen that means that there is no mass INSIDE teh abdomen, the wording which you mentioned states as such however it is still possible that you could have a mass inside the abdominal wall or in the soft tissues of the abdomen. This is can be something like a lipoma in the wall of the abdomen which should be picked up on the CT scan however it wont be visible inside the abdomen but rather in the soft tissues. A MRI of the abdomen would be a better investigation to pick up on soft tissue masses as a MRI is more sensitive for soft tissues.

Another possibility is that the report could have been erroneously reported, it happens sometimes that radiologists can mix up reports. If you have the images i would be glad to look at them for you however you can also request re reporting of the scan to confirm if these are the correct findings.

If you can still feel the mass and your doctor can as well, then it should be picked up on the scan, two possibilities exist here, that the radiologist didnt report the soft tissue swellings or the report was mixed up. But a CT scan should pick even soft tissue swellings, a MRI is better but a CT scan would pick up lipomas or other masses as well. If you can post the whole report that would be great.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.