Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I had a bone marrow biopsy at my p area several years ago.

Customer Question

I had a bone marrow biopsy at my hip area several years ago. It was excruciating. I have had to see many Ortho doctors for other problems over the years and they all agreed that that is a very painful procedure. My son, a GI doctor for about 8 years, says I shouldn't have felt pain because there are no nerves in bone marrow.
I read internet comments on the subject (none of which indicated where their biopsy was) said they were hardly painful.
Why was mine so painful and why would my son think they aren't painful? (He seems to think I was exaggerating). I have a very high pain threshold and I do not complain.
Can you clarify?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

A bone marrow biopsy can be painful, but it is usually more because of pain receptors in the bone and the covering of the bone, rather than the bone marrow.

When a bone marrow biopsy is done, we typically use a local anesthetic to prevent the pain associated with the biopsy, so most people that undergo a bone marrow biopsy will say that it was not that painful.

In your case, it may have been more painful because your doctor did not use a local anesthetic or because there re times when a local anesthetic simply does not work. Local anesthetics are quite good, but there is no medicine that works 100% of the time.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.