Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have been told I have renditiculnoduar changes in the mid

Customer Question

I have been told I have renditiculnoduar changes in the mid and lower of both lungs.is this a definite diagnosis of lung disease or can these changes go away
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about the changes in your lungs. Now reticulo-nodular changes are basically changes in the lung tissue where there are formation of small nodules in the lung parenchyma. The reticular portion refers to the thickening of the interstitium (which is the portion in between the different small patches of lung tissue (alveoli). So collectively this JUST refers to the changes which are occurring in the lungs and it is NOT a definite diagnosis of what is causing the changes. Usually these changes are commonly seen in Interstitial lung disease or ILD for short. The causes for ILD are numerous ranging from autoimmune disorders to exposure to silica or even exposure to other pollutants. It can also be the appearance in a diseases which is known as sarcoidosis.

So you would need further testing to determine what is the actual cause of these changes, this may involve a HRCT (if it has not been done already) and several blood tests focusing on the causes for ILD.

Lastly, it depends on the underlying cause whether these changes can go away or not but in most cases the changes are permanent and are not reversed. Unless the underlying cause is an infection which is less likely to be the cause if the only changes are reticulonodular.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

reticular nodular changes in the mid and lower lung lobes can also come from you not taking a deep enough breath during the CT scan.

this can cause atalectasis changes or areas of collapsed lung in your mid and lower lung fields seen on CT scan

having obesity or increased abdominal girth can in some patients cause them to not be able to take a large breath and can cause these changes in the lungs.

if you have your full chest CT scan report, you can upload it here, I would be happy to review it with you online here

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Hello again,

Usually the inability to take deep breaths would lead to areas of collapsed or unaerated lungs in the scan which is known as atelectasis. This would be easily differentiated from a more significant reticulo-nodular pattern which can be due to the causes i listed above. reviewing the film would be beneficial, You havent mentioned whether the pattern was seen on a simple chest xray or a CT scan? If you can attach the image, ill be happy to go through it with you.

Do you have any more questions?