Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I had a question regarding a gh WBC count, I have been told

Customer Question

I had a question regarding a high WBC count, I have been told for over 10 years now that my WBC count has been high, but no one has ever really followed it, I saw a hematologist in 2007 and my WBC were about 12,000 I have an anxiety disorder and have been in and out of hospitalsfor that, each time they tell me I must have some sort of infection becuase my WBC are high, I haven't had them checked since 2010 and they were 13,000 with segmented neutrophils being what was elevated, I went to the hospital 2 months ago and my WBC were 18.2, they didnt really say much about it, and neither did my PCP, I brought it up to him last week, and he sent me for more blood work, my WBC was 17.6, my CRP was 13, my ESR 15 and my LDH was slightly elevated, he is sending me to the hematologist, Is it possible to have leukemia, like CML for over 10 years and not have any symptoms? I am very confused and still have to wait a couple more weeks before I see the hematologist.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
This is dr David
Your levels are only slightly elevated and not in the range for leukemia. Your doctors can continue to watch your levels. Long term infections, viral infections, H Pylori stomach infections, small bowel bacterial overgrowth issues should be checked for. I would not stress about leukemia at this point. let me know if you have other questions. If done for now please leave positive feedback below. You can always reach me as Dr David. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would I have symptoms of any of these, the only thing I have been diagnosed with is fatty liver disease and a mild left ventricluar hypertrophy. I am about 305 pounds.. I am just concerned because he didnt say anything after my blood work his nurse called and said you are going to the hematologist, I have the blood work, and all the other numbers were normal, as far as RBC's..
You may not have symptoms from these infections. H pylori infection can cause excessive stomach acid. SB overgrowth can cause gas and bowel symptoms. Don't worry about seeing the hematologist. Your fatty liver would not affect your white blood cell count. Exercise and weight loss could help you overall become healthier. let me know if you have other questions. If done for now please leave positive feedback below. You can always reach me as Dr David. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com