Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

May 6 2015 I was diagnosed with stage 2b esophageal cancer.

Customer Question

Hi May 6 2015 I was diagnosed with stage 2b esophageal cancer. Did the protocol chemo/ radiation therapy and an esophagectomy on sept. 14 2015. I had a 1 cm tumor in the lower ge junction with 2 regional lymph nodes contained in the esophagus. Surgeon said we will take the lymph nodes out and the small tumor and go for the cure. After 2 rounds of chemo I had a complete response with Ned . 4 scans in total cancer free and sept 22nd I'll have my one year post op scans. The surgeon said the treatment did all the work and the surgery was profolactic. A week after surgery the surgeon once again said your margins are all clear and 38 lymph nodes under a microscope all proved to be a negative pathology. I've done so well and can eat or drink anything. It's all about portion size. My question ( sorry I suffer from anxiety ) I drink wine on the weekends and many times more than 2 glasses and 6 times in the past 9 months I smoked pot. I'm now worrying that I could have a recurrance on my sept. Scan based on these actions. What are your thoughts on what I wrote regarding wine and pot. I'm wondering if limiting 4 glasses of wine a week and no more pot would be advisable. I hope my actions didn't screw up my negative pathology. Please advise !!!!!!! Stressing out
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

I am glad the surgery did well and all of your lymph nodes were negative.

smoking pot can increase your risks for smoking related cancers in the future such as lung cancer and mouth cancer.

but those chances are small.

drinking wine and smoking can also increase your risks for oral cancer and throat cancers as well

but I would not be stressed about your esophageal cancer coming back because of smoking pot or 4 glasses of wine per week.

if you have bad anxiety symptoms, you may need to get more treatments for your anxiety symptoms.

regular exercise can help decrease anxiety and improve your health

eating healthy and eating more fruits and vegetables can help decrease your chances of future cancers as well

I suspect you are using the pot to help treat your anxiety symptoms.

let me know if you have questions.

do you have any other questions?