khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I had hernia repair surgery earlier this year on 1/29/2016

Customer Question

I had hernia repair surgery earlier this year on 1/29/2016 and then at end of April beginning of May started to get pain at site where I had the hernia surgery. So my primary care doctor had me on May 11 get an Ultrasound. The Ultrasound showed an elongated anechoic collection in anterior abdominal wall measuring 2.5cm in length and height of 5mm surrounding hypoechogenicity. I was told two different things about what that is that showed up so my primary care doctor referred me back to general surgeon who I saw this past Thursday. I was told from my primary care doctor that what Ultrasound showed is an abscess and the surgeon on Thursday said it is just fluid build up which is normal nothing to worry about.However my pain has been getting more and more severe to the point that some days it is very difficult for me to move or even get out of bed.My question is who do I believe about what the Ultrasound showed do I believe my primary care doctor that it is an abscess or the surgeon from Thursday that it means only build up of fluid and that is normal nothing to worry about.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 months ago.

Did you have CT?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I only had Ultrasound and my primary care doctor ordered for me for this Monday June 20 to have a new and updated Ultrasound done.So do you know exactly what it all means those words about description of what was seen on Ultrasound in May if it is an abscess like my primary doctor says or like surgeon said fluid build up which is normal and nothing to worry about.

Anechoic collection means liquid or the inside of the intestine. The hypoechogenicity seems to be fat. Abscesses have a wide range of sonographic appearances. Typically, they appear as anechoic or hypoechoic spherical collections of echogenic fluid with poorly defined borders. Additionally, septae, sediment, or even gas may be present within the fluid collection. Compression with the transducer may induce movement or swirling of the contained pus. Color doppler ultrasound can tell it is a blood vessel or not. But CT scan can tell it is intestine or not. If it is not a blood vessel or the intestine, it should be aspirate with a needle to see if it is abscess or just liquid from the inflammation.