DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Doctor
55099014

I recently had an MRI in my upper arm that was originally

Customer Question

I recently had an MRI for pain in my upper arm that was originally thought to be an "impingement" by my primary care physician. After physical therapy did not help, I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon and he treated me with a cortisone injection and followed-up with an MRI. The results of the MRI were "There is an area of bone marrow signal abnormality in the proximal humeral shaft posteriorly. this measures approx 2.4 cm in superior to inferior dimension by 11 mm in maximum diameter. The lesion displays mixed signal characteristics with areas of low and high T2 signal present. Localized endosteal scalloping is present involving approx 50% of the cortex. No cortical breakthrough identified. No periosteal reaction of soft tissue mass. The MR appearance is not specific, however neoplasm cannot be excluded. Metastatic disease or possibly chondrosarcoma are not excluded at this time. No other bone marrow pathology detected. No pathologic adenopathy appreciated. Mild to moderate degenerative changes are seen in the A/C doint with some minimal inferior spur formation. The acromion has a type II configuration with a mild forward and lateral tilt and some mild anteroinferior spur formation. No significant subacromial/subdeltoid bursitis identified at this time". I am being sent for a CT scan and a full body bone scan. Of course this scared me to death as it's not been completely been explained to me. Help!
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No, only pain.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for this question Joy

how old are you?

do you have any other health issues?

are you up to date on your cancer screening?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm 55, have high blood pressure (treated), high cholesterol (treated) and have no history of this in my family history. I am behind on mammogram by a couple of years.

Okay

Thank you

I don't think this is cancer at all

you would have other symptoms if you had metastatic cancer to bone

you wouldn't just be feeling fine otherwise

I suspect your tests are going to be normal

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What other symptoms would I be experiencing?

weight loss, lack of appetite, pain, fatigue

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No weight loss and I have an appetite but I do have pain in my arm that is treatable with Ibuprofen 800mg for now and it has worsened since this started almost 6 months ago. I am also fatigued but attributed it to stress at work, I started really noticing it last weekend by doing normal activities that have not bothered me in the past. Please advise, thank you!

I don't think this is related at all