Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a 34 years old women. I want to try artificial

Customer Question

Hello;
I am a 34 years old women. I want to try artificial insemination. For that, the clinic that provides the fertility service has ordered to do some blood samples. I have seen the results, and I am worried about them. I did a first blood sample in febuary, and the platelet count in the blood is of 134 when the normal is between 140 and 500. The doctor for the insemination ordered me a second blood sample, and the results are of 96 instead of 134.
I am worried about the sudden drowning of the result.
I was taking sertraline for over a year, but I stopped it just a week before the second blood sample. As of symptoms, I have aches in my articulations (particlarly at the end of my hand and my feet). I also lost more hair than usual.
What can or could it be ? Could it ever be some kind of start of cancer ?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

thanks for uploading your blood tests.

Cirrhosis (liver scarring), Folate deficiency, Vitamin B12 deficiency are common causes of lowering platelet levels

at your age, blood cancer would be very very very unlikely

I would ask your doctor to check your liver and and to check your folate and B12 levels.

also you need an ultrasound of your liver and to check for enlargement of the spleen.

sometimes an inflamed spleen can start to take patelets out of your system too early.

avoid aspirin for now which can defunctionalize platelets.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

.

do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello;
- Does the platelet levels are the only indicator that leads to the cancer, or in the case of cancer (ex: blood cancer), there would be more anormal results in the blood samples ?
- Does the sretraline can influence the platelet levels ?
- What would be the causes of an inflammation of the spleen ?
- Because of my aches in my articulations and the loss of my hair, would it be possible that the lowering of the platelet levels be caused by an autoimmune disease ?
- My TSH s at 0.73. Can there be correlation between the 2 results ?
- My doctor has prescribed me another blood sample, but only 3 months from the date of my lasts results. Is he right to do so, or he would be more likely to investigate more and faster ?
Thank you very much

there would be more abnormal results if you had cancer.

sertraline shouldn't cause low platelet levels.

viral infection can cause spleen inflammation and swelling sometimes.

yes, you could have an autoimmune condition causing your symptoms. you need ANA, ESR, C reactive protein blood tests to check for this.

your TSH levels look normal.

3 months is a reasonable time to check your blood again

I bet your platelet levels most likely will go back up by then.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello again I still have 2 questions concerning your answers;- Which viral infections can cause spleen inflammation and swelling ?- Why do you bet that the platelet level will go up ? Does it gets up sometime by its own, and for which reasons ?

mononucleosis ebstein barr virus can cause enlarged spleen.

the bone marrow makes platelets in the body and makes enough for the body to help with clotting.

at your age, it would be very unlikely for your bone marrow to be sick to not make enough platelets.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com