Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

What kink of pain can you get with lung metastasis? I am 38

Customer Question

What kink of pain can you get with lung metastasis? I am 38 y.o. female and have a history of stage iV osteosarcoma, had 4 lung mets removed by vats (oct 2015) and finished chemo in the spring 2016. I have been having dull pain just medial to the left shoulder blade for more than a week. No specific injury although stressed ++ because husband diagnosed with rectal cancer 2 weeks ago.
No shortness of breath, no cough, no hemoptysis.
The pain increases with inspiration. Sometimes I feel like I can locate pain with finger, but no improvement with massage.
Next chest CT in a month.
Can this be pain from a new metastasis, and which are the signs that I should be looking for?
Thank you,
M
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

Hi this is Dr Stan and I'm very sorry to hear about both you and your husband. The Sarcoma can cause dull achy pain in bone initially. But, if you were clear on your last examination which was about 6-7 months ago, it is unlikely that this is recurrence. The other is that you have no symptoms relevant to the lungs. This could be just stress caused by your husband's diagnosis. Contact your doctor, who will want to see you for evaluation and lets hope it is nothing. I trust this is helpful and you both feel better sooner rather than later. A positive rating is always appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

most often lung mets don't cause any lung symptoms.

pain increasing with inspiration is called pleuritic chest pain.

this can be due to irritation of your pleural lining from fluid or from prior scar tissue or sarcoma metastasis.

I would ask your doctor to move up your chest CT scan to this month to get a faster look now.

what might be better than a chest CT scan would be a PET/CT scan

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

As you know Osteosarcoma is typically found in the arms legs and pelvis. The fact that you are experiencing pain in the shoulder blade is not typical for this disease. Stress can produce a variety of pain in the form of muscular pain for example. So your shoulder pain needs to be evaluated as I suggested by calling your doctor for additional evaluation.