Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I should have added that I an 'ultrasound' has indicated I

Customer Question

I should have added that I an 'ultrasound' has indicated I have a 1.5 cm module on the thyroid and my GP Dr. has suggested having another look after 3 months to see if it is growing. He didn't have much confidence in the size reported by the lab.
Category: Oncology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 6 months ago.

Hello

True, the ultrasound will not be very accurate on size.

The vast majority of nodules are benign.

An assessment for biopsy is based on characteristics [complex appearing] and size, which is often sited as 2cm as a cut off.

It is OK to wait and recheck.

An ENT consult would be idea.

Please click a positive.

Find me as needed.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

This is dr David
I am a cancer doctor
Ultrasound is very good at sizing thyroid nodules
Thyroid nodules larger than 1cm in size have about a 20% chance of being a primary thyroid cancer. FNA fine needle aspiration can be performed on thyroid nodules larger than 1cm in size.

Also blood test for thyroglobulin can be elevated if she has a thyroid cancer in her neck. So that can be checked. Ask to consult with an endocrinologist.

a thyroid nodule of 1.5cm most likely would not be causing problems with swallowing.

you need task your doctor about a barium swallow study which can look for reasons why you are having trouble swallowing.

if you have excessive mucus in your throat, this can sometimes affect swallowing.

you need to see an ENT doctor who can look down your nose and throat with a thin camera which can look for sources of blockage.

let me know if you have other questions.

If done for now please leave positive feedback below.

You can always reach me as Dr David.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com