Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

We are Australian based and my father has been diagnosed

Customer Question

Hi
We are Australian based and my father has been diagnosed with colorectal cancer and is on his bowel and traveled down the rectal passage
He went for an MRI which showed the results above.
He has seen an Oncologist who said he is not experienced enough to operate and he phoned a lady who is and she has agreed to do the surgery.
They had a meeting about the surgery last Wednesday. i do understand that a surgery like this has to be planned carefully etc and the team brought together
However my Father is not seeing the Oncologist again until the 27th May.
My question is why is he not already in hospital? Why the wait? Is there something they are not telling us?
Thanks
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidlocally advanced rectal cancer which is not metastatic to the liver is best treated with chemotherapy and radiation first before surgery.this is called neoadjuvant chemoradiation therapy.he should be seeing a medical oncologist and radiation oncologist doctor about this.he should get an endorectal ultrasound to stage the depth of invasion of his rectal and colon cancer.if his cancer is T3 or above, he should be getting both radiation and chemotherapy first before surgery.this has been shown to have better control of the rectal cancer, better survival for the patient, lower chances of the cancer coming back in the rectum and better chance for him to save his anal sphincter so he doesn't have a life time colostomy bag for his stoolthese are all important issues.talk to his surgeons and cancer doctors about this option.let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi
Not sure on the call as i am in Australia... can we still do that?
Thanks for your reply though the cancer is very large and they want to operate first.
I just dont understand then why he is not in hospital already.
yes, I can still internet call australia.very larger rectal cancers are better treated with radiation and chemotherapythis shrinks the cancer and makes the surgery easier.experienced cancer doctors know thisradiation and chemotherapy can be given with the patient coming and going from homeif the mass is so large and is blocking stool, that might be a reason to do surgery first.but if he is able to pass stool, he should have radiation and chemotherapy first.