DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Doctor
55099014

My daughter has a glioblastoma brain tumor diagnosed 9 months

Customer Question

My daughter has a glioblastoma brain tumor diagnosed 9 months ago. She is choosing to explore naturopathic remedies instead of undergoing the standard chemo and radiation therapies. There are several other experimental treatment options that have had promising results. She is being denied access to most alternative trials because the criteria for them includes failed standard of care methods(chemo and radiation).
Our dilemma is that, since this disease is classified as 100% terminal with a 15 month survival mean, we are questioning the medical ethics of withholding potentially effective treatment options because we choose not to use the standard of care treatments which compromise the immune system and damage quality of life and are ultimately ineffective in the long run.
Can you advise us about how to contact a medical ethicist and/or an organization active in this area?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for this questionThe problem is that these are clinical trials.and clinical trials have strict rules that are not subject to the normal ethical standards
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 7 months ago.
HelloWhy are you going this routeBurzinski has gone through phase 3 trials or 4, at his institute.He routinely cures this particularly tumor, and it is well documented.See this linkhttp://www.burzynskiclinic.com/The FDA has confronted him twice and he won based on trial and case presentation, and evidence.Why go alternative and not really go alternative,.The problem with the trials is that they are set up for those who have failed known treatments. They also don't know what is going to happen, and the trial will be stopped if there is apparent harm. Also, there is no gurantee of getting into the treatment rather than the placebo group. There is no ethical problem until they show it works, then yes, to with hold treatment would be a problem.However, Burzinsky has demonstrated success, particularly in brain tumors. Integrative people have followed his career for years. He is not as impressive in other types of tumors, but has success there as well.I am board certified in this area.Find me , Dr. Thomas , as needed here.
Please I would recommend reconsidering alternative therapyThere is no good evidence of cure