Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Strange top left back pain and side pain that

Customer Question

***** *****, strange top left back pain and side pain that is intermittent and sometimes worsens after alcohol. Acid reflux but am long term ins sufferer
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Been to physio but was no help, back pain is intermittent but a strange pain
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Oncologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes gets aggravated when I eat food but is never constant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
48 year old also left shoulder pain when I lift left arm
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!It sounds that you have more than one thing going on here ....For pain to worsen after you eat or drink alcohol --- here I would be concerned that such pain may be due to PANCREATITIS ...this may cause abdominal to back pain commonly...it may be checked with blood tests -- I think that you may benefit to have both blood testing for lipase and amylase and an abdominal CT ....Pain worse with alcohol or eating could also be caused by stomach irritation ( gastritis or ulcer ) or gallbladder problem ( gallstones ) The pain lifting left arm sounds to me different in nature and may be due to tendonitis of rotator cuff ( first suspect to me from your history but other things possible here ) You need more evaluation medically is bot***** *****ne ...I hope that this information is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concerns or discussionI will be happy to get back with youIf my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** is very mild
Hello again,Ok I understand your point .. The possibilities would include a combination of issues such as perhaps mild gastritis plus a separate back pain issue ..I take it that your doctor must think that you have a musculoskeletal cause of back pain if you have been referred for physiotherapy The intermittent nature seems to make the cause more challenging for your doctor to be certain...The feeling worse after eating and alcohol seems to imply some GI component and perhaps some referred pain pattern...Gallbladder and pancreas would be most common culprits that may cause pain to radiate to the back....LEFT SIDE pain might be caused by enlarged spleen and that would be evaluated as well with abdominal CT .... Left kidney system would as well....I hope that this is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or discussion.Best Regards!Anthony Bray MD