Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I had a carcinoid tumor removed from my brochinal tube in February.

Customer Question

I had a carcinoid tumor removed from my brochinal tube in February. Had my entire lung removed to get all the cancer. Has not spread before surgery. But at my postop visit I was told that there are a few cancer cells left at the place where there was a cut made on my brochinal tube. Why was the cancer not all removed. Was it missed overlooked or what. Now I have got to go through another precedure not determined yet in a couple months but why, after I was told this surgery would get the cancer. Thanks Teresa Parish
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am sorry about your surgery issue.usually surgery is not used to treat carcinoid lung tumors.usually radiation or sandostatin is used to treat carcinoid tumoryour case should have been discussed in a multidisciplinary tumor board conference before your lung surgery.did you have a octreotide scan before your surgery? this is the type of scan used for patients who have carcinoid tumors.did you have a blood test for chromagranin A before or after your lung surgery?you may just benefit from some radiation therapy to the area of the positive margin to decrease chances of the carcinoid tumor from coming back at the area of the surgerylet me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My question was why was some cancer cells left behind. I had entire lung and 9 lymph nodes dissected. I was told before surgery that it would get all the cancer?
that surgeon make a wrong assessment about his surgery with carcinoid tumorlung removal surgery should not have been done with carcinoid tumor in the lung.I am sorry about this surgeons wrong assessment.are you looking to sue the surgeon for not cutting out all of the carcinoid tumor out of your lung?