Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My 3 year old has elevated Alpha fetoprotein levels. After

Customer Question

My 3 year old has elevated Alpha fetoprotein levels. After scans of the stomach and liver, tumors are not a concern. AFP was 13 in 11/15...she has had 4 tests since then. The latest revealed an AFP of 41. What could this indicate? Has anyone seen this before?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David

AFP is a glycoprotein normally synthesized by the fetal yolk sac, liver, and intestine that serves as a fetal type of binding protein. Normal reference values for blood AFP in the neonatal period and infancy up to 2 years of age have been established from normal. But especially in the first few postnatal months, the range of values is broad.

Elevations of serum AFP can be seen in association with certain nonneoplastic conditions, most commonly in acute liver disease, such as extrahepatic biliary atresia and hepatitis.

your child levels are not very high and not high enough to look for cancer.

In addition, hereditary disorders such as ataxia telangiectasia and tyrosinemia can be associated with serum AFP elevation.

no tumor seen on scans is a good thing.

has he had blood tests to check the liver?