Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

RE: LDH blood test: here were my results: 6/12/2013: 229

Customer Question

RE:
LDH blood test: here were my results:
6/12/2013: 229 (lab range: 135-214)
7/14/2015: 251 (lab range: 135-214)
1/13/2016: 254 (lab range: 120-250)
1/20/2016: 279 (lab range 135-214)
on 1/29/2016 doctor performed a LDH isoenzyme test:
LDH:
258 (lab range 119-226)
LD Fraction 1: 20 (lab range 17-32)
LD Fraction 2: 37 (lab range 17-32)
LD Fraction 3: 25 (lab range 17-27)
LD Fraction 4: 9 (lab range 5-13)
LD Fraction 5: 9 (lab range 4-20)I am a 57 year old female who has never smoked. I take no medications. I have my benign thyroid nodules checked every 6 months. In addition, I have annual mammograms and US of my pelvic area as well check ups, check ups by an internist, and the same goes with my gynecologist. On my most recent visit to my endocrinologist my blood tests showed elevations in my AST (38), ALT (40), Iron(279) in addition to the elevated LDH (254). My gynecologist (with a pharmacy degree) told me to cut out my supplements (daily vitamin with 45mg of niacin which i was told is a nothing, Krill Oil(350 mg) Total Omega-3 (350 mg), Co Q - 10 (400 mg) and Vitamin C (500 mg). But out of my concern for my elevated enzymes I started taking Milk Thistle and drinking Dandelion Tea (I think the tea might be high in iron). On my retest taken on 1/20/2016 my AST went down to normal range - 24 and my ALT did as well - 29, but my Iron went up to 182 and my LDH went up to 279. Now that my AST and ALT were within range, I started to panic about my LDH level thinking CANCER. I specifically asked for a LDH isoenzyme test and it was given on 1/29/2016 (see above). My concern is that the the elevated LDH might be due to undetected to date early stages of lung cancer. I don't understand an elevated LDH but the individual fractions are within range. Help me. I am panicked
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

LD-I appears elevated in the serum about 24 to 48 hours after a myocardial infarction (MI), but is generally not as useful as troponin or creatine kinase-MB (CK-MB) for detection of MI, unless the MI occurred at least 24 hours prior to testing

Normally, LD-II is greater than LD-I; however, when a MI has occurred, there is a "flip" in the usual ratio of LD-I/LD-II from <1 to >1 (or at least >0.9). Use of the ratio for evaluation of patients with possible cardiovascular injury has largely been replaced by TPNT / Troponin T, Serum

your LD2 is higher than LD1

your LDH levels are not high enough to worry

it is not a sign of cancer

and it doesn't sound like you have had a heart attack.

different labs have different normal levels for LDH levels

I have given you other labs which say it is normal up to 333

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com