Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My wife is a 68 y/o with squamous cell breast cancer that

Customer Question

My wife is a 68 y/o with squamous cell breast cancer that presents as a primary lesion, grade 3, Ki ~67%. HER1 & HER2 - negative. She has no family h/o breast cancer. Her history is remarkable for late pregnancy, obesity,& sedentary life style. I know the prognosis is poor & that the cancer is rare. But, do you have any experience with EGFR inhibitors? And do they have have any significant benefit as an adjunct with chemo for this type of cancer?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David

EGFR testing usually is done for adenocarcinomas of the lung, and can be more positive in women who are non smokers and are from Japan or asia

her doctors can test for EGFR mutation in the breast cancer specimen, but most likely it will be negative.

was the breast squamous cell cancer ER negative? or ER positive?

did she have a mastectomy or lumpectomy? any cancer spread to lymph nodes? how large was her primary lesion?

squamous cell cancer is not resistant to chemotherapy. chemotherapy should decrease chances for systemic recurrence.

let me know if you have questions.