Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a 28 y/o female. Back in July I got an ulcer/canker

Customer Question

Hello! I am a 28 y/o female. Back in July I got an ulcer/canker sore in the corner of my mouth which I've gotten a lot on and off for several years now. A lymphnode in my neck on that side, the left side, became sore and enlarged. I went to the doctor and was put on antibiotics and anti virals later on. My mouth took a bit to clear up, I couldn't even open it or chew. The lymphnode stopped being sore but never went back to normal size. I started getting worried about it and all summer I touched it several times daily. I went to the doctor because it stopped being sore and never went away. They sent me for an ultrasound and found an enlarged lymphnode (1.1 by .9...if I remember correctly) and a nodule on my thyroid. They weren't worried about the lymphnode. I had a biopsy of the nodule and it was drained...it was benign. I continued to worry about the lymphnode and kept touching it. Finally in the fall, it went got a little flatter but never went back to its regular size (which would have been where I couldn't feel it). Doctors did not want to biopsy it, I even saw a general surgeon who wasn't worried about it. Fast forward to about a month ago or a little more, I started having left shoulder blade pain. They did x rays of my chest, thoracic and cervical spine and breast ultrasound. They found a lymphnode under my left arm pit, said it was the size of a pinky nail, but said no abnormalities. I had a migraine and went to the ER, they did a ct scan of my brain which was normal and because I was complaining about the lymphnode they did a cat scan with IV contrast of my neck. They were able to see it was a little enlarged but no abnormalities, nothing abormal such as cancer. About a month ago, I had some soreness under my left jaw above the original, enlarged lymphnode and sure enough I felt and there was a teeny, not even pea sized lymphnode present that hurt to touch. It is smaller now and doesn't hurt to touch but I can still find it. The one I've had for awhile stays about the same size and never really gets bigger. I'm worried I have lymphoma but I'm hoping all the things they have done, has ruled everything out. Every time they do CBCs on me it is normal. I am worried because I have a hard time finding the lymphnode under my arm but the doctor was able to and on some days/at times, that arm pit feels sore to move around, like something is there. So anyway, I am worried that I have lymphoma, I have no other consistent symptoms. I get warm sometimes at night but I bundle myself up a lot too. I do have joint pain at night/in the morning but it's also very cold outside and I have a vitamin d deficiency that I take vitamins for. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Oncology
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I should also mention that I worry a lot about health stuff, always have, however these lymphnodes are real. I'm just worried I have lymphoma or something bad.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, I know these lymph nodes are real

lymph nodes are normal parts of our body's immune system

they help filter lymphatic fluid to fight infections and help keep you healthy

just because you can feel a lymph node does not make it abnormal.

many viral infections like mononucleosis can cause lymph nodes to swell up and be tender and can cause fatigue

touching and squeezing lymph nodes will make them stay swollen longer.

your doctors are not worried about lymphoma.

I am a cancer doctor and I am not worried about you having lymphoma.

you could get a lymph node biopsy, but it will turn out benign as well.

try to not worry about your lymph nodes being cancerous

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi dr David! Another issue I'm having is what I think are occult migraines. One part of my vision becomes wavy and I cannot see in that area/it is blurry. I don't necessarily get a headache afterwards but sometimes I do. I started getting them 2-3 months ago and once every 2-3 weeks. I haven't hD one now for over a month but tonight/right now I am having one. It usually lasts 20ish minutes and then goes away with a headache to follow usually but not always. I'm worried it might be brain cancer or something related. However, I'm hoping that's ruled out since I had a cat scan done about a month ago of my brain/head and all was fine/normal.

yes, a CT scan of the brain would have see any brain tumor

you don't have a brain tumor

these sound like migraine headaches

food allergies sometimes can cause migraine headaches.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. My vision is coming back but now I have a bad headache. I am just worried about brain cancer but I guess the cat scan would have shown that. It happens randomly it seems.

sounds like bad migraines.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My only other issues are that the arm pit where they found the other lymphnode is continually sore a lot so I'm just worried about possible lymphoma since the lymphnode (I guess) is not resolving and I still have the other one in my neck since July. Sorry for being a pain! My only other issues are aching in my hands and feet in the morning and at night recently (it has been cold out so I'm not sure if that would cause that).

just feeling a lymph node doesn't mean you have lymphoma.

you have seen doctors already.

none of them are worried about lymphoma.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, I saw one doctor about it but not often. However, I hAve had the lymphnode under my arm for a few weeks now At least. In addition to the one in my neck that's been enlarged for several months, I can't feel the lymphnode in my arm pit but they say it's the size of a pinky nail. I do know that at times my arm pit is sore/achey.

viral infections like mononucleosis can cause fatigue and sore and tender lymph nodes.

size of a pinky nail is a normal size for a lymph node.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I really doubt I have mono. The one in my neck hasn't been sore for awhile but my arm pit in general gets achey/sore to move but I can't pin point the lymphnode. I guess they thought the node was enlarged in the ultrasound but said it wasn't abnormal otherwise.

if you are feeling your arm pits frequently and pressing there and in your neck, this can cause soreness.

I am not worried about lymphoma.

please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks. What do you think about the achiness in my arms/feet/elbows/wrists at night and in the morning? Sorry to be a pain, I just have a few issues I'm worried about. My lymphnode in my neck is never sore but is enlarged (that's the one they did a cat scan of) but my arm pit is sore. I'll try not to touch it. You really don't think my occular migraines are related to brain cancer? I started getting them out of nowhere a few months ago.

cold weather can cause achiness,

being overweight and lack of exercise can cause achiness.

I know your headaches are not related to cancer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. My vision seems to be getting better but this head ache is pretty strong. You don't think this could be an aneurysm? As you can tell, I worry a lot.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I took Motrin but it's still pretty bad.

no, it would not be an aneurysm.

if your anxiety is bad, you might need to get some treatment for anxiety from your doctor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi there! The main thing I am worried about is my lymphnode. The one that I've had since July suddenly got a lot flatter back in the fall but recently, over the last couple of months it is back to being more bulbous/puffed out. I'm hoping the cat scan would have mainly ruled out lymphoma or anything like that (done w/ IV contrast). It still showed an enlarged lymphnode. As I said, I also have an enlarged node in my arm pit (but I don't know how long it's been there). I've had bloodwork, etc (a few months back now) and that was fine. I'm just worried because this lymphnode never returns to a point where I can't feel it and it's pretty bulbous. The cat scan was done a little over a month ago.

yes, the CT scans would have ruled out lymphoma or cancer.

because you continue to touch and feel and press on lymph nodes, this continues to make them swollen.

you need to stop feeling and pressing on them

but I suspect you will not stop doing this and you will continue to worry about these lymph nodes.

this worry about these lymph nodes is a manifestation of your excessive anxiety symptoms.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's good to know that a ct scan would rule that out. I didn't think it did since it can't see in the cells like a biopsy can. It got really flat back in the fall but never went down. Even when I wouldn't touch it for weeks/months and then touch it again, it was still enlarged. It's the same now, if I don't touch it for a day or two, it still feels bulbous, kind of like a grape. I'll try not to worry.

just being able to feel a lymph node does not mean it is abnormal.

it is impossible to biopsy all the lymph nodes in your body to prove to you that you don't have lymphoma.

it sounds like you are set to continue to worry about lymphoma no matter what your scans and doctor say.

it sounds like no matter what I say you will continue to worry.

it doesn't sound like you are willing to seek help for this continue worry you have.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi dr Dave! Just wanted to address one more thing. Over the past month, I had pain/tension in my left arm/shoulder blade. That stopped and now some days I have a tension/odd feeling in my left leg in the mofning. This morning, I felt fine and went on the exercise bike for 45 min. When I got off and started walking around, I noticed that even if I stretch lightly my left calf hurts. When I touch the back of my left calf in a certain area it is very sore to touch but no bruising. I've been worried I have something neurological like ALS or something. Thanks!

that is good you are exercising. you should continue to exercise.

sore calf most likely is from your exercise.

you should make sure you stretch your calf muscles before and after exercise on the bike.

the left shoulder blade can be from tendonitis or arthritis or bursitis possibly.

these are not signs of ALS or neurological conditions.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks! My shoulder blade has been better for awhile now, it's just my left leg that feels like it's not all there a lot when I wake up. I also get a feeling of heat/hotness on my other leg near my knee that comes and goes. My whole calf isn't sore, just in one spot. Thanks!

these sound like arthritis or musculoskeletal issues from aches and pains

cold weather can cause these

getting older can cause these aches and pains.

these don't sound like ALS or neurological issues.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks I hope you are right? After doing that it hurts my left calf if I bend over (Bc it stretches it). I do the bike from time to time and never had that problem.

your muscles are tight

you need to do more stretching which will help the tightness.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi dr David! I'm a little concerned this morning because since yesterday I have had another small lump, about the size of a very small pea/a little bigger than a piece of rice on the left side of my neck, more towards the back/side of my neck. I know it wasn't there before and it is relatively sore to touch. I am not currently sick.

if it is on the skin, could be a skin cyst or ingrown hair follicle or blocked skin pore.

if it is below the skin, you could be feeling a normal reactive lymph node in your neck.

your lymph nodes are working 24/7 to fight infections and to keep you healthy to prevent you from being sick.

let your lymph nodes do their work

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm also worried about possible lymphoma because my lower back is starting to ache this afternoon. I usually don't have this unless I am getting sick. I felt fine until this achiness started so I'm just concerned given the enlarged lymphnodes I've had for awhile.

you don't have lymphoma causing your back pain.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi dr David! Thank you for all your help! For the past couple days, on and off I've been getting nauseaus so I'm just worried it is due to my lymphnodes and those issues. I'm worried because when I originally went to the doctor for it, they ask if I get nauseaus etx.

lymph nodes would not cause nausea.

excessive anxiety or excessive stomach acid would cause nausea.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi dr David! I am doing ok. I stopped feeling nauseaus after this morning and am now feeling it again. This has been a few days. I ate so I know it's not that, I know I'm not pregnant or anythin and I don't have a fever...I'm just worried it is something bad with my stomach or lymphoma because of my lymphnodes being enlarged for so long.

it is your anxiety causing your nausea.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hope you are right! I am worried because this is happening at random times when I'm not stressed out and it's bad to the point that I almost feel like I might have to throw up. This goes on for awhile! I'm just worried because it's pretty random and I'm not necessarily anxious.

your nausea is due to your anxiety

or your anxiety causing your stomach to produce too much stomach acid.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks! I hope you are right! I'm worried it is due to a stomach problem issues like something bad or lymphoma. I haven't been super anxious recently. This is happening even when I'm at work busy with students.

try stomcah acid blockers like maalox or mylanta or zantac .

these could help your nausea.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi dr David! I'm a bit worried because from time to time I get itchy in spots and then whF looks like a bug bite/raised area forms...like a mosquito bite and is discolored just as a bite would be. It goes away After awhile. I am worried this may be related to lymphoma Bc this is recent

these are hives or eczema on your skin which can come from anxiety, dry skin, dry winter weather.

this won't lead to lymphoma.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi dr David! I'm doing well but a little concerned about some neurological symptoms I've been having for awhile. I have been consistently getting this sweeping feeling of hotness/heat on my one leg on the side of my knee. It comes and goes but happens a lot recently! Just wondering what you think this is! I'm worried it might be blood related or lymphoma related.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Or some sort of neurological disorder.

no, it is not blood or lymphoma related.

it is due to your anxiety disorder.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi dr David! I'm also concerned about some deep/strong achiness that I am getting in my bones. I don't know if you remember me saying, but I had bad aches in my joints for about 4 days last week which got better. But today, I am starting to have that again in my right arm (fore arm and upper arm). It started after I got my sleeve wet but is still going. I know this isn't anxiety related.

I'm going to let another doctor help you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh ok. I'm sorry I've annoyed you! I know I can be a pain!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still able to answer Question?