Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced Oncology Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I was diagnosed with large cell lymphoma on my spleen in

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with large B cell lymphoma on my spleen in Sept 2014. I had the
normal procedure of 6 chemotherapy treatments at 3 week intervals and a follow-up
PET scan showed it was still there and had spread. I was told I needed a stem cell
transplant. Prior to that I took 4 rounds of chemo that required 3 days in the hospital
for each round. The PET scan after that was clear and the stem cell transplant was
done on August 20, 2015. A follow-up PET scan has just revealed that I again have a
spot on my spleen. What would you recommend as the best treatment at this point?
Category: Oncology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like the stem cell transplant didn't get rid of all of the lymphoma out of your system.

you have options for clinical trial research protocols

you can also get second line chemotherapy for recurrent diffuse large B cell lymphoma like ICE protocol.

after another course of chemotherapy, you might benefit from consolidative radiation to the spleen since this seems to be the place where the lymphoma is hiding out

it could be sort of a sanctuary site in the spleen where the chemo isn't getting into.

it is not typically known to be a sanctuary site

but radiation can be used there to kill lymphoma. you haven't had that treatment yet.

let me know if you have questions.